5.21.2009

The Last Summer (of you and me)


I was warned about this book. I was told many things about it before I gave it a chance.
And I loved it.
Granted, it is not the Sisterhood series. But it was similar in its life, in its loss, in its love, and in its pithy and honest embraces of the realities and cruelties and beauties of human existence.
This book explored a very basic concept, but the people in the crux of the story were what made me not want to put it down. I legitimately cared about them. I cared about Alice and Paul and Riley and their triangle. I wept (several times) for each of them and their losses. I understood Alice's behavior and appreciated the dolphins and yearned to travel to Fire Island myself this summer (It's not too far away actually).
I was annoyed at the characters at some points, and felt that it was (just a little) predictable.
Maybe I am a terrible critic because I am way too optimistic and basically love to read anything black and white and in English. Most of my peer reviews of this novel were negative.
(but I couldn't put it down)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so with you... I read this book last summer and loved it!