12.09.2010

Last Class

Photobucket

My last class was yesterday. But I didn't treat it like my last class. I always imagined leaving class in tears, shaking my professor's hand, and retreating to the window overlooking the terrace so I could cry in peace, leaving the past four years behind.

But instead I hurried out, tripping over someone's backpack on my way, and rushed to my car to get out of the cold. I forgot to cry, and I didn't even sit on the terrace because I was late for work. The rest of the day I hurried around - attending meetings, signing forms, writing articles. And it wasn't until now, sitting at my desk again, that I even considered that my last class of my undergrad was yesterday, and that, in fact, I finished what I decided to start over five years ago, when I prayed every night that I would get into BYU, and that I would find everything I wanted to find in life there.

And I did. Four years of college, three different states, several different boyfriends, one broken heart, one perfect year with the promise of a ring, wedding plans, and the love of my life. The day I woke up and decided I wanted to be a writer.

Hundreds of books, thousands of pages, millions of thoughts, fifteen different roommates, more time alone than I ever thought I wanted, but time that showed me who I am as a person and who I can be if I choose to be her.

High school was fun, but college was illuminating.
It filled my life with light.

photo via

24 comments:

emilymcb said...

I love this post. And I love that you appreciated the college experience, too. It was hard for me to leave...but we have exciting things waiting for us in the future :)

Diana Smith said...

what an awesome feeling that must be to be done!! Its nice to know that you followed your dreams and completed that goal!

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful. I felt the same way when I graduated!

Here I scribble said...

It's great the way you think of your time, with so much gratitude. Not everybody does that. Love it.

kara lynn said...

gorgeous. i'm not quite there yet. but even at my last class yesterday i was grateful for what this college experience is making me.

Emily Meyerhoffer said...

Congratulations on being finished, you're awesome Mandy!

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I randomly found your blog and I realized we were in the same ward last summer when you first got engaged.

Congratulations!

...and I totally understand.

Unknown said...

you are such a wonderful writer. completing college is such a wonderful accomplishment.

Dee Paulino said...

Congratulations!!! I love the conclusion of this post and I hope I can say the same thing about my college years the day after I complete my career.

Annie said...

this was perfect. i remember feeling the same way about undergrad... i romanticized my last class so much in my head, but on the actual day was almost too busy to soak it all in. good for you for pausing -- even if just for a moment -- to reflect.

and congratulations!

Love Cami. said...

so happy for you. i cant wait to see what you write. im already a fan.

Shay said...

CONGRATULATIONS, that is so amazing!I look so forward to feeling the same in May:-) Thanks for something to look forward to!

Talisha! said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see what you write.

Jalene said...

congrats on your last day of class!!! it's such a wonderful feeling. i was so glad to be done.

Laura said...

Love this post. I felt exactly the same when I finished university this past July.

L x

Jess You said...

Beautiful entry. Congratulations on graduation! I hope you find everything you wish for in life. Best of luck.

Jessica said...

Wow, nice Mands.
And crazy that you're done! Sad day, I don't love it.

janis said...

congratulations lady! and like others said, this was beautifully written! ♥

Melissa said...

One of my fave things about BYU was that, for a little while we were there together. Our lunches and boring English class were so fun. Congratulations on graduating!

l. c said...

found your blog and it's so lovely!! and your header....!!! love love love it!!

xoxo

Michelle said...

are you going to grad school?

and please do be a writer-- you are glorious and I would read everything you wrote.

*sigh* my dream would be a writer, but I've never had the discipline to work on it consistently.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I don't even remember my last class and it was only last December. I was in such a hurry to graduate that I think I forgot to appreciate many little things during those last weeks of college.

Congratulations on completing your undergrad!

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

I really love the way you write, Mandy. You have true talent, which is hard to find around the blogosphere sometimes (which is sad since blogging has so much to do with writing).

Amanda said...

Love this post. It's so nice how you write--you appreciate every word. I'm in college right now, and I think I'll have to refer back to this post after I'm done with my last class...