5.10.2011

Water for Elephants (the book)


"Life is the most spectacular show on earth "

My best motivation for reading books I meant to read a long time ago is a movie release of the book. I see the trailer and then the book seems so good and I can't wait to read it before the movie comes out. That was definitely the case with Water for Elephants, and will probably be the case with The Help. I wish I had been able to imagine Jacob as someone other than Edward from Twilight though (pretty ironic his name is Jacob in this movie...) but otherwise I loved the book.

I loved the book in the way that I couldn't put it down, even though at times it was gruesome or risque, I could always count on it to come around, and it always did. (Similar to The Time Traveler's Wife.) The circus life was so wild, and extreme and colossally dramatic that it was interesting to realize that people really did (and I suppose really do,) live their lives on trains, traveling with the circus.

It has been a long time since I felt afraid for the characters in the way I was afraid in this book. So many threats and mysteries and so much danger in a way that I was pleasantly surprised at how the book took a turn, but not so surprised that it was extreme or fake. Just a good old-fashioned web of romance and danger and compassion. You also really come to love Jacob and Marlena, as well as Rosie and Walter. It is important to me when I read anything to come to love certain characters, and despise others. It is a sign that I am invested in the story.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. (Just a warning - there are some pretty explicit sex scenes.) I can't wait for the movie now. Did you see it? Or read the book? How does it compare?

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely *loved* this book! I read it when I heard that the movie was coming out too, and I am so happy I did...it only took me about eight hours to read, so it was pretty quick, but I absolutely couldn't put it down. The movie was excellent as well, which is surprising since most book-to-movie adaptations aren't always great. Are you planning on seeing the movie?

And you definitely should read the Help as well. It's fantastic, and the movie looks amazing too!

xoxoxo,
joelle

Bridget said...

LOVEd this book. AND the movie.

Aubrey said...

I loved the beautiful prose, but the gritty, nasty elements were over the top for me and tainted the book for me overall.
I am so excited for the movie though!

IngridLola said...

Hey Mandy, I moderate a book review blog called The Blue Bookcase. You might know some of the girls that started it last year (Connie, Chioma, Julie?), they all went to BYU too. Anyway, I love when you write little reviews on your blog! They are well written, interesting, and have a lot of personality. Would you be interested in writing a guest review for our blog some time? Come check it out at www.thebluebookcase.blogspot.com. If you are interested, email me at thebluebookcase@gmail.com. I hope you'll consider it! :)

-Ingrid

drewandlacey said...

loved the book. ate it up. and surprising enough for me (first theater show i've been to in a year) the movie wasn't too bad either.

mj said...

Hey thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I think I had already creepd onto your blog as well. It's so nice. We are now official blog friends.

Lizzy said...

I actually saw the preview for this and you'll have to let me know if it's good when i get home in.. oh, December :). Love your post about Dori and your little segment about me made me teary!

You're the best.

Alex said...

Adored the book, but still haven't seen the movie.
Read The Help ASAP. It's incredible.

andrea said...

i saw the movie a couple weekends ago and it was really good. i love reese witherspoon and she captures her character so well. i am not a huge "robert pattinson/edward cullen" fan per se, however, his acting is growing on me because of this movie. i have always wanted to pet an elephant, and after this movie i REALLY want to ride an elephant! can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on it!

Lauren said...

I'm the exact same way - I've had Water for Elephants sitting on my book shelf for a while, but now I really have to read it since the movie is out!

L!$@ said...

I've been a little apprehensive to read the book or see the movie...but I may just have to give it a go.

Julie Standley said...

speaking of "book-movies."

have you read.. the help?
if you have read and tell me what you think. I just started it and i am loving it!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

You know what's funny? I have NO recollection of any explicit sex scenes! Crazy.

You will love The Help. Love it. It is amazing.

Hillary said...

I really liked the story of Water for Elephants. I really liked the book minus those couple of parts. I love the description of the depression and circus life. The movie was good and really stayed true to the book for the most part. I love the way they adapted it to screen. My favorite character is still Rosie. I secretly kind of want a pet elephant. I can't believe you haven't read The Help! Hurry up my dear.

kate said...

yep. i loved both the book and the movie. i read the book a couple of years ago, so i was glad i could seperate the two.

as for the movie, i was impressed that they went less risque than the book. that's a uncommon in hollywood these days!!

Dee Paulino said...

You have just added a new book to my reading list... I loved the time traveler's wife (a little too much), I got so into it " I cried multiple times" while reading.

Amanda said...

I could not put this book down. I have not seen the movie yet but I can't wait to.

As always, love your book reviews!

Kaitlin O'Connor said...

Read the book last summer and I loved it! I was so excited when I heard they were making a movie.

halloweencouple said...

I hope The Help is as good as the book, I couldn't put it down at all!

Will have to see to the book before the movie of this one now :)

Happy Reading!

Unknown said...

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog and couldn't help chuckle when I read this post because of the timing! Around the time you posted this, I read Water for Elephants (I swear it was the same week) and for the exact same reason. I loved it so much, then saw the movie the night after finishing it and was pretty disappointed (but only because the book was so good). And then I read The Help as my next book too, and absolutely loved it!