7.14.2011

Wild and Precious


"You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves."
- Mary Oliver

I try so much to be good. To be good at everything I do, to be a good employee and piano teacher and wife and friend and sister and daughter and everything else I am. Sometimes I feel spread so thin in this life, and I don't know how to change it.

But I think I do love this soft animal of my body enough to make changes where necessary. And that is now. My one, "Wild and precious life," as Mary Oliver also speaks about will be exactly what I call my life. Because how else could you diagnose this thing we live? I wouldn't want it any other way.

5 comments:

Dee Paulino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dee Paulino said...

what a beautiful quote by Mary Oliver.

Brittany said...

Oh heavens--I needed this just now. Thank you.

Hannah Lesley said...

I love Mary Oliver!

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I have been going through this as well. I'm glad you know when to take a break.