9.13.2012

marriage and television



I've been thinking a lot about marriage lately. It's never what you expect it to be. It's so much better. It's so much worse. It's so much beauty I think that it could kill you if you thought too much about it. It's the most interesting relationship. 
I watch a lot of television these days too (name a show and I probably watch it. not kidding. I'm not proud of it, but I have a lot of nights alone) and I see infidelity on almost every show I watch. (Also, a lot of "coming out of the closet" side stories, but that's a rant for another time.) I'm so bored by it. It's been done too many times and it's really not interesting anymore. Is it too much to want to see a happy marriage? I want to see two people fighting and struggling to make it work. I want to see a husband on business trips who orders room service and calls his wife before bed. I want to see a mom who gets hit on by her neighbor and puts him in his place - (Maybe she could even bust out pepper spray? Or it could be a good time to reveal that she is, in fact, a double agent. Are there any producers reading this?) 
I just don't really believe television. Affairs are messy and sad and I'm not entertained by them. Also, maybe we could find some real love plots that don't involve 30 year old actors pretending to be teenagers. 
Just some Thursday evening thoughts.

image via

7 comments:

emilymcb said...

Watch Friday Night Lights. I hope to have a marriage like Coach and Tammy's someday.

Chantel said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed!

The Global Phenomenon said...

I liked Ghost Whisperer with Jennifer Love Hewitt because in the show she has an excellent relationship with her husband. You should check it out!

Mandy said...

Emily - you are totally right. I have seen all the seasons and I love their relationship! Thanks for the reminder.

The Global Phenomenon - I'll totally check that show out. Yay for real marriages!

Katie said...

Amen. And you should share some of your favorite shows - just finished downton abbey and definitely need another show to watch :)

andrea said...

amen! whatever happened to the Andy Griffith Show, and I Love Lucy, and The Brady Bunch? My husband teases me about watching those shows on occasion. But I am with you 100%. A lot of these shows on TV these days are crap & they give the impression that marriage isn't worth a darn thing. Even the Disney Channel isn't what it used to be.. :(

Alexa Zurcher said...

Amen amen amen!!