8.11.2011

Driving At Night


Up north, the dashboard lights of the family car
gleam in memory, the radio
plays to itself as I drive
my father plied the highways
while my mother talked, she tried to hide
that low lilt, that Finnish brogue,
in the back seat, my sisters and I
our eyes always tied to the Big Dipper
I watch it still
on summer evenings, as the fireflies stream
above the ditches and moths smack
into the windshield and the wildlife’s
red eyes bore out from the dark forests
we flew by, then scattered like the last bit of star
light years before.
It’s like a different country, the past
we made wishes on unnamed falling stars
that I’ve forgotten, that maybe were granted
because I wished for love.
- Sheila Packa

2 comments:

Kelsie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsie said...

"my sisters and I
our eyes always tied to the Big Dipper"

I like that. This is perfect timing too because of the meteor shower this weekend!